I was in a Car Accident. What do I do?

1. Call the Police.

If the Police did not attend at the accident scene, contact the Police and provide the necessary information to complete an accident report. The number to call is (403) 266-1234. For more information on reporting a collision, click here.

If the Police attended the accident scene, you should have received a copy of the accident report. Alternatively, we may request a copy on your behalf, with your written permission.

Note: Do not delay contacting the Police post-accident. It may negatively impact any claim you may have for injuries sustained and damages suffered as a result of that accident.

2. Call your insurance company.

Do: Advise of the date of the accident.
Do: Advise of the full extent of your injuries (that you’re aware of at the time).

3. Schedule a Doctor’s / Medical Appointment.

It’s important to seek medical attention right away, and for a medical professional to assess the nature and severity of your injuries. The full extent of some injuries may not be known for several weeks – or even months – after an accident.

Note: If you wait too long after an accident to seek medical help, this may negatively impact any claim you may have for injuries sustained and damages suffered as a result of that accident.

4. Call Kantor LLP.

We will guide you through each step of the insurance claims process to ensure you are receiving the care and attention you deserve. While we address the legal issues and deal with the insurance companies, you can focus on recovery.

We will assess any claim you may have for injuries sustained and damages suffered as a result of the accident. Your future should not be compromised because of the carelessness of another.

We are happy to take the time, free of charge, to initially assess your matter and give you options as to your potential next steps.

5. Take Pictures. Save your Receipts. Keep a Diary.

In order to maximize the compensation you may be entitled to, it’s important to document your damages and injuries, which may include the following:

  • Pictures of the damage to your vehicle;
  • Pictures of any visible physical injuries such as cuts, scrapes, bruising and/or swelling;
  • Receipts for any treatment sought or prescribed as a result of the accident such as chiropractic, physiotherapy, acupuncture or massage treatments;
  • Receipts for any medication prescribed to you as a result of the accident;
  • Receipts for over-the-counter pain medications, like Advil or Tylenol;
  • Receipts for costs related to accessing treatment such as travel expenses; and
  • Receipts for any other out-of-pocket expenses incurred as a result of the accident;
  • A diary or journal of ongoing symptoms; and
  • A diary/journal/log with the dates and distance travelled to seek treatment.


A personal injury lawyer can help guide you through your options and help you obtain the compensation you need to help you recover from any injuries. They can also make sure that your insurance company does not attempt to limit the compensation that you are owed. Schedule your Free Consultation by calling (403) 452-2011 or send a message to kantor@kantorllp.ca. We will represent you on a contingency fee basis, so we do not get paid for our time and attention until we settle.

Kantor LLP Personal Injury
Kantor LLP Personal Injury Lawyers Represent Clients in Calgary, Canmore, Banff, Brooks, Camrose, Didsbury, Olds, Red Deer, Lethbridge and Wetaskiwin.
Best in Calgary CBRV 2021 Verified CBRV 2022 Verified CBRV 2023 Verified
1910, 605-5 Avenue SW, Calgary, AB, T2P 3H5
legal marketing by ICONA